My TL:DR review

Firstly, I apologise for the Camwhoring - I am being an absolute hypocrite with posting shite pictures of myself in bathrooms trying to not look derpy in my self-portrait so that you can look at my face and think I'm some sort of cool and edgy model and stuff.
I assure you - I am as derpy as you think I am.


Unfortunately - My second post already fails at convincing you that I am sensible and modest and not vain - hah hah... well...I LIEK MAKEY UP AND LIKE SHOWING OFF HOW PRITTI I AM BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE GIVES ME THAT PRIVILEGE CAUSE I NOT MODEL!

and stuff
I'm only beautiful on the outside XP

Anyway...


This last month has been a roller coaster of excitement for me. I have finally come to the end of the ride, not so much dizzy and throwing up half way through the loop-the-loop and having my gross land on a hapless bystander holding a balloon and/or fairground snack, but rather, I have come off this high; making horrendous tortured animal noises with my nose and generally typing random shit while I have a fever. I have also tried to bake, more on that later...

To sum up the last month - We have had easter; therefore chocolate, a chunk of family members arriving from the Philippines; therefore more food and noise and shenanigans and my Cousin's BEAUTIFUL wedding in Terrigal (photos next time); therefore more food and booze.


All in all - I have gained a shit-ton of weight and have been buzzed on fluffy love. And champagne, but whatever.


Last weekend we had my other cousin's engagement party. So much <3 !!! My aunt, the lucky gal and meh - all red from fever, wine and outdoor heater

It was a family affair, some oh, I don't know, 50-60 of us. This of course completely befuddled my new cousin in law whose idea of family did not include cousins, uncles, aunties and so on and so forth.


Our immediate response was - that's not how Filipino families (or Asian ones for that matter) work, we don't really have a concept of a nuclear family, we just have everyone.


It was an interesting subject that immediately threw into contrast the social differences between eastern culture and western. It isn't that much of a big deal but as someone who studied sociology/anthropology - it is interesting to see this kind of social thinking in action. Josi was perplexed, not offended or upset, but it was interesting how she couldn't really wrap her head around the concept.
Being a product of both worlds, I am able to understand her confusion but was also able to explain it to her in ways that she understood - I sounded dorky and bookish.


Anywaaaay - I tried to bake for the ocassion - S'mores brownies. My first attempt at these didn't turn out so well, I baked the brownies with the marshmallow on top which led to the brownies cooking more slowly and the marshmallows burning, then melting into the brownies until the mixture became brown marshmallow with brownie flavouring.


Apparently though - they were delicious and everyone ate my mangled sugar mutations up. There was even a theory that there was a 'special' ingredient. I swear there is not.


My second attempt was visually more successful, I originally got the idea from the wonderful Darla at Bakingdom, who makes the most inspiring treats ever (including my upcoming project - Butterbeer!). This time, I reread her recipe and realised she originally made the same mistake as me. So this time - I followed her advice baked the brownies first and then put marshmallows on top.


It worked! the marshmallows toasted and inflted and turned into a nice - creamy slightly burnt treat on the top. Unfortunately - my brain thought that wasn't good enough.


I added more marshmallows on top of those.



Instead of letting them bake and burn I allowed them to melt with the heat of the still hot brownies until they melted without loosing the cute pastel colours they came in.


The result was visually adorable:



Eee! it looks like a quilt!



It also resulted in it being ultra sweet. Too sweet for my taste tester - mum. I had made a seond batch with the leftover batter and mallows. It was really difficult to serve since the marshmallow was so sticky.I didn't bring the brownies to the engagement party in the end - for fear of giving everyone there diabetes. And knowing Filipino food, it would not have been hard to do so, we already had enough treats there, we brought good booze instead.


Ok - now to the camwhoring. I wore my first JSK ever bought from Bodyline - I love it to pieces and it looks so elegant without being too outrageously formal. Actually I didn't stand out that much which is what I try to go for since loving lolita fashion doesn't mean you have to make yourself look like something out of a barbie catalogue. I've also never really worn this JSK with a shirt underneath - so normally the effect isn't as pretty. I must say, it looks lovely with a shirt underneath, I wonder why I never did it before?


My makeup had to be a bit underwhelming, but I wanted something pale and bright so it would stand out in the night but needed to complement it with the rest of my face remaining simple. I always have this great frear that I'm piling on too much simply by applying eyeshadow and foundation.
The M.A.C Wonder Woman lipstick is called Lustre Marquise, despite the ridiculous name its actually a nice nude pink which makes my lips look paler and glossy without making my lips lose much of that volume that lipsticks tend to give me.
I used a little bit of mineral foundation powder but not enough to cover my uneven skin or blemishes. This is cause I don't like my face looking even, it makes it look flat and it looks extremely obvious I'm wearing makeup. I kind of go all out on the blush to sculpt my face and that's about it.


In this instance I used Sakura from M.A.C's new Quite Cute collection. It's Purple! actually, it's a very light purple with a darker fuchsia heart in the centre. I applied the blush liberally because the effect is really subtle. then, with a smaller fluffy brush I dabbed it into the dark heart and used that darker colour to add extra depth lines under my cheekbones. It still looked really subtle...



Finally I used my trusty Revlon Custom Eyes Palette, using mainly the lilac, fuchsia and a touch of green.


I just realised I didnt put a shot of my eyeshadow - Its on my other USB - so I'll upload it later - DAMNIT!!!


As usual - I used my fave scent - Dior Addict2 (I will one day rant about its awesomeness separetely). The result is kind weak I must say - but I like to call it subtle.
If you squint you can see the green, and purple/fuchsia. It makes the face look paler (especially the purple blush) but it also gives the effect of complimentary shades as opposed to just looking like colours pasted on your face. So all my contours shadowed purple and all my highlights were slightly glimmery with green. Does that even make sense? ugh - I hate explaining colour theory.


In short, I looked pale, vacant faced and quite derpy. But I liked it.


Anyhoo, the dinner was great as usual - there was a lot of family, there was Michael jackson blaring loudly in the backyard. I did not spill my food, and, oddly enough I didn't eat as much as I'd liked - there was just too much to make my mind up.


So yeah. Hopefully that wasn't too traumatizing - I mean, I put pictures of food and swore a bit to make it exciting right? right? A


Ah bugger it - go look at some puppies






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is no ALCOHOL!!!

So this is not christmas yet!!! a.k.a screw you time! you go too fast!

My Epileptically Coloured Childhood Cartoons